Sunday, March 19, 2006

Weather or not

Weather or not it's going to rain. Weather or not it's going to be sunny, windy, have a frost. Or just about anything else. As a Farmer just about everthing is contingent on the weather.

The weather seems to be contingent on weather or not it's going to be like the weatherman says. And of course that leads to all kinds of other weathers. Like seeds coming up, being able to till and plant, market being busy, losing crops to late frost, losing crops to early frost, having a good year, having a bad year, freezing in the cold, broiling in the heat.
So many things in farming depend on the weather, and it of course has taught me so many things.

How do I go on after waking up and discovering that a late frost has wiped out the tomatoes in the field. How? you scramble for transplants to repalce the ones you lost and buy a frost alarm to tell you disaster is imenent ( then of course the next year when you know it's going to freeze from experience, you stay up all night building fires to make a smoke screen to keep the heat in, but the small amount of wind, but of course not enough to keep it from freezing in the first place, blows your screen away)) you just replant, buy some agribon, (ouch!) and thank god that your whole year isn't riding on one planting of tomatoes.

This spring we've been having one of the coldest and rainest march's I can remember getting squash planted will be a little late, and hopefully the tomatoes won't get to big in the greenhouse before they can go in the field. But of course this all depends on the weather.

Over the years I've learned I can't let the weather stress me out, and that as a Farmer you got to take it as it comes or your gonna end up giving yourself ulcers or some other health condition.
So when it's raining I work in the office, or better yet the greenhouse, when it's sunny I get what I can done and while I wait for the feild to dry out, work on other projects which of course there's many. And then when it gets blazing hot I work until I can't work no more, then go inside and take a break in front of the swamp cooler. Then of course in the fall those first rainy days are so nice to just sit in front of the fire and read, or sleep half the day cause your sleep deprived from to many 15 hour days.

But of course it's all hinging on the weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home