Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Secrets Revealed

I spoke at our local Grange this last Sunday, revealing some of my secrets to a Organic Gardening class. This class series was organized by David Grau who was a Farmer years ago, and currently manufactures a wheel hoe. The class has been very well attended, and was filled with many familiar faces from the Farmers Market.
The first topic I covered was Tomato cultivation. There were lots of questions and I gave them all my secrets on growing the best Tomatoes they have ever grown. I certainly hope that they have a good harvest.
Then many audience members were anxiously awaiting my presentation on Carrot cultivation. I think they were hoping I'd reveal the variety I grow but I kept that secret to myself, while coaching them on all my other practices. And some of these practices aren't secret at all as they have been passed from David Grau to Richard Roth to me. I owe both those guys a bunch. (carrot humor!!!) Every time Richard comes by the stall I try and give him free produce but he tends to throw his money on the table and run off. Maybe I'll one day be able to sit down with these two local farm pioneers and have a wonderful chat.
Both of these guys were ahead of their time. David gave up farming in 1987 way before local or Organic food was on the radar of mass consumption or support. And Richard had a CSA more than ten years ago that again was visionary at the time. We all must remember those who came before us and honor and respect the foundation that was laid before us, and continue to build upon it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home