Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I've been spoiled

Yes I have been spoiled.

Last Saturday's Farmers Market we had rain. The first rainy Market in quite a long time. I might be wrong but I think it's been two years since we had rain on Saturday morning. I like that. Farmers Market is much more enjoyable when it's not raining. Also there are more customers for all when it dosn't rain. We still do pretty well when it rains, as a lot of our customers are what we call "Hardcore", they come out no matter what.

Farmers can be another thing. For the last 4 years if we have a rainy Saturday we've had a really good Farmer turnout. Before that it could be pretty bad. There was one time that we we're getting hit by a really rainy/windy storm and there was like three vendors. I was one of them. Market that day rocked. Anybody that wanted vegetables had to come to me. I sold out by 9:45 and then went home, as after that there were no other customers to be seen. After that market I was secretly hoping for rainy Market days.

The last few years have changed a bit. We have really good Farmer turnout all winter/early spring. Even on rainy days. Why? More Farmers, growing more winter produce and more customers supporting them. It's a two sided proposition. Take away one side the other suffers.
It kind of sums up the whole Local Food System evolution. More people supporting Local Farmers makes Farming a more viable occupation, increasing the number of Local Farmers, more Local Farmers means a better marketplace to buy Locally produced food.

So for now I'll just show up to Farmers Market rain or shine, preferring for the Sun to shine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home