Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Re-Creation

This last weekend Lisa and I went to the coast for the weekend for some re-creation. The Farmers Market in Grass Valley was canceled for Saturday ( yeah I know ridiculous) so I take advantage and take a few days off. By this time of the year even though days are shorter in time and work load I'm burned pretty crispy. I've decided that next year I will take a Sunday/Monday off. Just one day off a week from Feb till now adds up. And if I'm stupid and don't take a Monday off I'll go away for the Sunday. To much work and no rest makes me grumpy, well not grumpy, but just tired and to close to everything to enjoy the Joy of my life.

We had a great time in Fort Bragg. The Sun was shining, and so we sat on the beach, with our dogs, wine, cheese, snacks, and just sit, talk, and relax. I'm pretty good at relaxing, so's Lisa. Then we'd go out to a nice dinner, and relax some more. Very nice, and re-charging.

So things in the field are good. Carrots are all weeded, Garlic/ Onion beds are sprouting weeds waiting to till fertilizer in then we'll start planting Garlic. The Onions didn't like all this heat we've been having, I finally put up the shade cloth to shade them in the afternoon and now they look great and should size up well for transplanting. Summer vegetable harvest is slowing quite a bit but I don't mind as there are a few projects I need/want to get done before it starts getting rainy.

I have to rebuild greenhouse #1. It's been here since the start, the hoops are now 9 years old and ready to start breaking. And I didn't put proper end supports in when I built it so that will get done then I'll recover it and replace the side boards also. Then It will be ready to go for another decade 'cept for recovering it every 3/4 years. And I could realy go thru the shop and do quite a bit of organizing, and then on the back I really need to put up shelves and storage cause it's really shabby and quite a waste of space back there. I don't have all to many big projects which I'm glad cause it's really a bitch working your ass off all spring and summer then working like crazy in the fall to bulid some development project before it gets to mud. Boy am I glad all that's over.

Last week after doing wholesale delivery's in Grass Valley instead of going to the Farmers Market I went to my friend Andrews Farm. Well it's not just Andrews he works it with a friend Logan and lots of other help. I rolled up just as they were sitting down to lunch ( good thing or else I might have been put to work) so we all had a great chat then the crew went back to work and Andrew and I walked the Farm. Wow. He's ( and Logan and all his help) gone from 1 acre last year to ten this year. What a leap. A bit crazy but what the hell, take a big bite, if you choke spit it out, pick it up and start chewing all over again. It is really cool to see what young Farmers are doing for this World. They take what they got and go with it. They help each other out, work for little money, and make this World a better place. Four Frogs ( Andrew/ Logan ) learned alot this year, they had some success, some failure, some in between. What's most important is they are doing what they Love and learning how to make a living doing it and hopefully consumers one day soon, will compensate Farmers and Farmworkers with a Equitable wage. In the meantime Farmers will have to do what they Love, and Love what they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home