Sunday, September 06, 2009

Restless

I'm restless. I awoke this morning at pre 5:00am and haven't slept. First thing I did was go out and look in the freezer for some bacon. Well, we're out here, I have to restock from the freezer at moms. Then of course over to the computer to goof off. Checked my regular sites, cruised my favorite blogs and here I am.
This September is much different than last years, much cooler weather has slowed tomato ripening which has put a damper on Tomato sales. I can't sell what I don't have. Then there is much more increased competition at the Farmer's Markets along with many more people growing their own gardens. Much to say this last weeks numbers were way off last years. Way off. The good news? Broccoli is right around the corner, I'm not putting in 11hour days,and the carrots are looking really good.
Carrots are a pretty big deal 'round here. They fly out of the stand at Farmers Market. They keep us busy in the winter, which usually means profitable, and they help grow our customer base. So with so much riding on them right now you would think I would be pretty stressed waiting to see how they turn out. Ha!! The rows have had excellent germination, and have been pretty clean, with light weed pressure. Weed pressure is a big deal cause if I grow a lot of them (weeds) they cost a pretty penny to deal with. But what remains to be seen is our yields, last year they were off a bit from our averages, I do think this was from the rows in the beds being a bit close, so this year I spread the rows out a bit further so well see. But no reason to get stressed cause I'm not a big fan of worry. At least not now that I have quite a few years of farm experience under my belt.
Well the suns coming up and I'm going to go watch and take some photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home