Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm Back

Yes, Yes, Ive been gone for a while now on our annual vacation to somewhere warm and sunny.
We went to Little Corn Island a tiny little island off the carribean coast of Nicaragua. It was fantastic, relaxing, fun,recharging, healing,and a whole lot more. The island has no roads, no cars, and a small village, and some really good food, nice people, and some good scuba diving. And the diving is about the cheapest place in the world to dive so that fits my bill. We made some new friends, met some very nice people, ate lots of good food, drank some beer ( and they even have some good wine), dove, and had lots of naps, and hammock time. And I do have to thank Ben & Laura and Phil for taking such good care of the Farm and making it a worry free vacation.

So now it's back to work. Today I did my seed order, which can be fun, exciting and a bit stressful.

The fun part is placing all the orders,as it's the start of the new planting year. The exciting part is when one of my seed companies dosn't have what I need. The stressful part is finding someone who does. All in all it all came out good. My famous pretty purple pepper variety was on back order till past when I intially plant so that was the first scramble. I substituted another pepper which could actually be the same variety with a different name. Hope it works out. Then the scramble came. One of my other pepper varietys has been discontinued, and it's one of my premium peppers. I Love them and our customers Love them so off to the races I went looking for other companies that might have some left. I found some, yay!! Now I also have to replace it, so I'm going to trial quite a few others looking for it's replacement. I'm also going to breed it myself and see if I can stabilize the hybrid. Wish me luck!

Also my favorite watermelon variety has been discontinued so I've made a replacement which should work out well if I can educate my customers on it's different exterior color than they are used to.
Then again another discontinuation. My cucumber standby, but I did find some still available from another company but will trial another variety.

So now my heart rate has come down, I'm feeling pretty good, and tomorrow I will do my fertilizer order. Let's hope for no surprise's

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home