Sunday, May 31, 2009

Big Week

Alright most the weeks round here are big. On Monday (yes I worked on Memorial day, I usually have to work on major summer holidays) I went and picked up our 6 Hogs. They have settled in to their life of eating, sleeping, rooting around, napping, snacking, running around, sunbathing, and eating some more. Oh the life of a Hog. if I had to be a Hog, I think I might pick here to live my life.
We of course had lot's of field work that got done. The second planting of Peppers/ Eggplant went in the ground, and it was so hot I had to give them a sun shade treatment so they wouldn't cook. The sun shade treatment is Kaiolin clay, white, very fine and will keep new transplants from cooking in very hot weather. It works wonderfully. I wish I had some for myself, as it was over 95F all week long, and the afternoons were pretty drippy. As in drips of sweat.
I started delivering Squash to my local store accounts and it's moving very well, which is really good as the yields are fantastic. It's really going gangbusters out there.
Then on Friday we had the start of our Harvest Fridays. With two Farmers Market's to pick for and wholesale delivery's it can get really busy here. But it's right now it's early in the summer season so it's a bit more "under control". We harvested Spinach, Giant heads of Romaine Lettuce ( some weighed more than 3#), Arugula, Basil, Onions, and Purple Radishes, as well as the normal daily Squash cutting. It was a well balanced day , and finished with a Yummy dinner of Farm raised Chicken, and Ceasear Salad with two kinds of home made croutons. Double Yummy.
Then as can be the norm for the first Market, I was only able to fall asleep for 10 minutes or so as I was so excited to go to the Grass Valley Market. Market up there was really fun, with my farmer friend Andrew setting up right next to my stall space. He's in his second year of Farming and he's gone from 1 acre to 10 acre's and I'm rooting for him. We had a nice post market conversation, and I do my best to give him tips of success. I drove home after a good market, unloaded the truck, then Angela got back from Chico Market and I found out that she had out sold me. Which is unusall, for I usally sell more produce at Grass Valley, but our local Chico folks are out there showing the Farm The Love and someday I have hopes of selling all I produce in Butte County.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home