Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It should be easy

I'm on the Board of the Nevada County Certified Growers Market and my pet project is getting a EBT ( food stamps ) program up and running. You'd think in this day and age, the information/internet age I could just go to a website and submit our application. But no the USDA is in the dark age's. No direct links to a website for each state's application page. Just bit's and pieces of somewhat useful information. So after a phone call where I actually reached a human on the other end, I got another phone# where I can leave my information and have a application mailed to me. I certainly hope that it gets mailed. I'd Love to get a program running as even struggling people should have access to Fresh, Local, Food.

On a positive light I was in the truck today and the producer/director for Food Inc. was on NPR talking about the fact that they've been nominated for an Oscar for best documentary. I've seen it, Loved it, and hopefully it will win, and bring to even more light our little food revolution. It's these things that brighten my day, it's been a long time coming ( I've been full time for 13 years ) but I'm glad there here!!

1 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Anonymous David said...

Hey Matt, We just voted last week at our market meeting to buy a wireless machine that will accept EBT, and credit/debit cards for the Greenfield Farmers Market. In Massachusetts the state is giving grants to pay for the machines for farmers markets so we just need to get the accounts set up. Not sure how (or if) other markets are doing it around there, but here, the machine is set up at the market managers table and people buy tokens (one color for food stamps, a different one for credit/debit) that they spend with vendors who then get reimbursed. Any other markets around there that accept them already that may be able to help?? We miss you and the farm lots!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home