Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Farmer

I'm a happy Farmer right now. I've just got off the tractor for the day and it's not the first time. On Wednesday I started with the whole mowing tilling process. Since then the only day I haven't been on the tractor is yesterday cause I was at Farmers Market and then off to a Market meeting.

Today I worked on what will be Squash beds and Spring Veggies. I've also mowed all my Cherry Tomato beds and my Slicing Tomato beds. They also have had the tiller run thru once and will get passed over again tomorrow.

The soil is looking really good, fracturing naturally not being cut, destroying the tilth. This is very important to me as I've been really patient and careful all these years, not working the soil when it's to wet, adding gypsum/calcium to loosen it up. On the Farm here I have what is called tight soil. Very high in Magnesium, and clay. When I first started working the soil here it was really tight, so tight you might just have called it rock hard. Over the years my careful tilth practices, and adding Organic Matter by the means of strip tilling has made the soil much looser, with much more Organic Matter. It works up in the spring to a crumbly texture, instead of hard rocks. It really makes me happy,and makes me smile to see the difference time, patience, and careful practices can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home