Sunday, July 04, 2010

Who has time to blog?

Not me. At least the time that I have I haven't taken time to blog. I do write two newsletters each week. One for the CSA and one for my market customers. And then there has been other forms of digital communication that have taken up my time. Then there is the "running the Farm". I also serve on a Farmers Market board of directors and that takes time.

Time it's something that I have lot's of but can struggle with not enough of it either. Lot's of time to run the Farm but not enough time to sleep, eat,goof off,etc. Sometimes I have too much time to run the Farm, seems like in the middle of Winter I have to much time on my hands, but now in the Summer, I don't have enough.

I'm seeking more balance now or at least that was one of my larger goals for this year. Balance a little more fun time with less work time. Then I went out and started a CSA, the weather for the year has been totally hinky, and of course all the other ups, downs, ins, outs, of running this Small Farm. It would help of course if the days didn't vary in length so much, or running a Small Farm was more financially viable and I could afford more help.

What you say? yes the truth of the matter is my Small Farm is rare in that it covers the cost of my living, others too, yet there is a bit of imbalance in the spread sheet. The imbalance for my Farm is not so much in dollar terms, but in Social Justice terms. I work very long days, and without so would not be financially viable. Yet I am rare and blessed to not have a mortgage, which has given me the ability to have saved for every bit of development of the Farm beyond the initall purchase of the Farm and some equipment and our humble rundown double wide. Yet if I was starting out now, with the cost of starting a Farm and maintaining it, and growing it, it would not be possible. Currently this is what our "local food movement" is not acknowledging, everyone wants more small farms and to conserve farmland yet the underlying support as in food pricing and demand is still lacking in providing true sustainability. Right now this has been a topic of conversation amongst those on this Farm, and we are wondering what the next step will be? How will this "food revolution" reach the next level needed? Or will it?

I know for sure, next level or not I will continue to do what I've been doing for the last 13 years. Run my Farm to the best of my ability, pay my bills, save a bit of money, work to balance work and play, teach others these skills, grow the best vegetables I can, eat as many as I can, and know that over the years since I have started farming things have gotten dramatically better as in "food system wise" and hopefully will continue to do so. I will go for the ride, do my best to enjoy it, and help others enjoy it also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home