Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wicked Hot

Yes it's Wicked Hot. Wicked Hot is when at 8:00 am you are sweating in just a few minutes of being outside. Wicked Hot is when the swamp cooler blows at 90F and it seems cool. Wicked Hot is when you don't really look forward to all the work to be done that day. Wicked hot is when your moving irrigation lines and the hoses burn your hands. Wicked Hot is when you roll out of bed at 5:00am so you can be mostly done by the high heat of the day. Wicked Hot is when you don't feel like cooking even though you have some of the worlds finest vegetables/meat at hand. Wicked Hot is when you have to really stay on top of irrigation or it all piles up. Wicked Hot is when you really see what the apprentices are made of. Wicked Hot is when you see what you are made of.
It was Wicked Hot yesterday too. I got back from Farmers Market at 3:00pm, unloaded the truck, and then watered the Nursery. Market's yesterday were really good.
The Grass Valley Market was a bit more busy and I got to see one of my favorite customers for the first time this year, Rosa. She's a big fan of Pyramid Farms, she just Loves our cilantro, and is one of my good luck charms. She was one of my first customers to show up and wait for Market to open. In Grass Valley years ago Market opened at 9:00am, so people would show up and wait in line for the bell to ring. Some vendors would have 20 people waiting for the start. I was just starting out and new to the Market so I was second on people's stops. Rosa was one of the first people who made me first on their stops. She would get the stands MO goin'. Mo is short for Momentum, which can be huge at Market. It creates even more MO, which attracts even more customers, and so on and so on. I've got a few tricks to keep the Mo goin' when there is a lull. I start putting the cash box away so I can go pee and that's just about a cinch to get somone to show up. Or there's moving boxes, just start moving boxes back on to the truck and it works like a charm, and of course in the middle of the MO restocking an item keeps it movin' or just rearranging something that isn't movin' jump starts it. Working it at Farmers Market is one part Farming, one part your Farms regular customers, one part sorcery ( manifesting the material world). It's like a dance, and a ritual combined. I Love the whole experience, and sometimes wonder if I'll be like some of my other Farmer friends and be 85 and still selling at the Market. (Go Ken & Betty) It's kind of addicting, and is most of my social interaction with other Human Beings off the Farm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home